Roses are more than just beautiful blooms, there are so many things that most of us do not know about them. Find out more with our top 10 facts about roses.
It is no secret that a rose is a very luxurious flower and that is why at Appleyard, roses feature in many of our luxury flowers bouquets. However, there are so many facts about roses so we have put together our top 10 facts about roses to help educate anyone and everyone a little about the sumptuous stem.
1) A rose fossil was found in Colorado with the age of about 35 million years. Maybe they should call it a vintage rose?
2) In nature, the genus Rosa has some 150 species spread throughout the Northern Hemisphere, from Holland to Mexico and North Africa.
3) Although roses can come in a wide variety of colours, a "black rose" is not actually black, it is a very dark red.
4) More than 54 percent of the land in Ecuador is filled with roses and Zambia surpasses this with more than 80 percent of land in Zambia being dominated with rose cultivation. This is also managed due to the universal rose industry providing a source of income.
5) Roses can survive for extremely long periods of time. For example, a large rose bush covers the wall of the Cathedral of Hildesheim in Germany and has done for over 1000 years.
6) Roses were very significant to the Romans as they would use them as room decorations, or even wear them on string around their neck and anything which was said "under the rose" was deemed to be a secret.
7) Reiterating the luxury of roses; in the middle ages, rose petals and rose oils were added to the baths of the rich and famous.
8) Different coloured roses are used to convey different feeling of passion and emotion. For instance, red roses are used to show the people’s romance, love, and passion. However, if you want to show empathy, happiness, and familiar love, you can give yellow roses. To deliver the poetic romance and gentleness, delicate pink roses are used.
9) A breed of multicoloured roses is said to be the most expensive in the world. A single "Happy Rose" costs around £25.00. However, they are pretty special.
10) During the fifteenth century, the rose developed its name the "War of the Roses". The white rose symbolised Yorkshire and the red rose branded Lancaster. The roses were used as a symbol for the factions fighting to control England.
Our final fact for you, call it number 11) At Appleyard London, we stock a wide range or luxury roses bouquets including the Grand Prix Red Rose bouquet and the Sorbet Rose bouquet. All of our roses are hand picked and hand crafted into the heartfelt luxury flowers bouquet.
Visit our website to discover more at appleyardflowers.com.
*Imagery used consists of Appleyard London flowers only*